To begin casting a project with Breakdown Express, you must first post a Breakdown with the project's details.
Sign In or Start a Guest Account
1) To begin, go to Breakdownexpress.com and click "Post a Breakdown".
2) If you are a new user and have never posted a Breakdown before, begin by signing in as a guest. Go to the "Continue as Guest?" box and fill in your name, phone number, and email address. Once you've entered your information, click "Continue". For returning users, enter your Breakdown Express account login info and press the "Sign In" button.
General Project Details
1) If you already have previous projects you will have the option to file and select them accordingly in the section titled "Project".
- Studio/Production Company: (Optional) The name of the Studio or Production Company the project is supported by.
- Project: (Optional) The project file you're working on.
Please Note: This will only be seen by some existing users, if they have the Projects feature turned on in their account. The benefit here is you link up Breakdowns under a single Project so you can schedule actors across multiple releases/Breakdowns and it unlocks more advanced reporting on scheduled Actors.
2) Here you will need to put in the general details about your project which is the start of creating your Breakdown. The section titled "New Breakdown" will have 6 fields that you will need to fill out.
- Breakdown Title or Name: (Required) What the Breakdown is called.
- Project Type: (Required) Whether this is a feature, television show, short film etc.
- Union Status: (Required) Whether or not the project is a union project and which union it is a part of.
- Casting Director Display Name: (Required) How your name will appear on the Breakdown.
- Contact Phone: (Required) Used only for Breakdown contact purposes and published if project contains nudity.
- Contact Email: (Required) Used only for Breakdown contact purposes and will not be published.
3) For the next section's fields, you will need to provide specific details for your Casting Notice.
Please Note: Additional fields may be available/required according to project type.
- Interview/Audition Date(s): (Optional)
- Callback Date(s): (Optional)
- Start/Shoot Date(s): (Required) Include the filming or performance dates of your project.
- Project Location: (Required) Include where the filming or performance of your project will take place.
- Personnel and Production Info: (Required - Casting Director's Name) The Casting Director will automatically be there, along with your name. Click "Add Another Name" to include other people working on the project. You can have up to 20 job titles listed on the Breakdown, and multiple people listed for each job title.
- Rate of Pay / Contract: (Required) Any project that pays less than $125 a day can only be released to Actors Access.
- Additional Project Info: (Optional) Include any other information about the production or personnel.
- Special Note: (Optional) Any other information not related to the previous topics goes here. This will appear on the Breakdown.
4) The next section will be the specifications of how the Breakdown is released and what information you want included when Actors or Talent Representatives submit to you.
- Post Submissions To: (Required) You can choose to post to Actors Access and/or Breakdown Express.
- Electronic Submission Options: (Optional) Choose whether to accept Actor notes, demo reels and/or size cards.
- Submission Deadline: (Required) The date by which you want submissions. (There is no technical restriction preventing submissions after this date.)
- Submission Instruction: (Optional) Use this section to include any other information for Actors on what and how to submit.
5) Include at least one region for the Breakdown. This will determine which Geographic area to which your Breakdown will be released.
6) Within this section, include any additional notes for our Breakdown writing staff. This information will not be posted on the Breakdown. Below that, choose which office this will be sent to for review.
7) You must disclose whether the project contains nudity. If so, you will be required to publish a phone number to accept calls regarding the nudity requirements. Once the required information has been filled in, click on "Continue to Roles" to move to the next page.
Project Roles and Notes
1) Here, you'll be able to add the roles you'd like to cast by clicking the "Add a New Role" button.
- Add a New Note: Use this to create different categories of roles or to break up the list of roles.
- Storyline: You can include a brief synopsis of the project you're casting for.
2) When you select "Add a New Role", you'll jump to a new page. Fill out the necessary information for the role you're casting and then click "Save Role" at the bottom of the page. If you want to add another role, click "Save Role and Add Another".
Please Note: The Physical Characteristics and Personality & Character Arc fields will merge to create the full role description, which can be previewed by clicking "Preview Description".
- Role Name/ Title: (Required) Enter the name of your role.
- Gender: (Required) Choose whether the role is male or female. This choice is not visible to actors unless you include it in your description.
- Age: (Required) Choose based off a range from youngest possible to oldest possible. This choice is not visible to actors unless you include it in your description.
- Ethnic Appearance: (Required) Choose from any or all of the options or choose not to specify. This choice is not visible to actors unless you include it in your description.
- Description: (Required) The Physical Characteristics and Personality & Character Arc fields will merge to create the full role description. The Physical Characteristics field will auto-fill with the gender, age, and ethnic appearance choices you made above, but can be edited if you would like them to display differently. The Personality & Character Arc field is open text for you to enter additional description of the role.
- Is this a Paying Role: (Required) Choose "Yes" or "No".
- Attach Picture: (Optional) If needed for visual reference for Actors or the Agents or Managers.
3) Once you've added all of the roles you want to cast, select "Finished with Roles and Notes".
- Edit Role: To edit a role you just created, select the "Edit Role" button that looks like this inside the role's box.
- Delete Role: To delete a role you just created, select the "X" button which is located to the right of the "Edit Role" button in the role's box.
- Drag and drop your roles and notes to change their order.
- Delete All Roles: Use this button to remove all the roles from the breakdown to begin again.
Reviewing and Submitting Your Breakdown
2) Guest users will be required to upload a photo ID in order to verify this is a real project. Returning users will not be asked afterwards.
3) After you have submitted your Breakdown, the writers will review it and contact you if they have any questions about the information you provided. Once it has been approved, login information to access your Breakdown Express account for new users will be emailed to you. If an account has been made previously, an email will be sent stating the Breakdown is published and to use your existing username and password to view the submissions.